Despair! It was running worse than before. Confident in my ignition work, I gave the carbs the once over, but could find nothing to cause me any concern, so I cleaned up the pistons and dashpot internals and gave up for the day.
This morning I decided to start from scratch. I checked the work I did yesterday and decided to put the old plug leads back on. Joy! It fired up and ran smoothly up to the point where the misfire came in at higher revs. I can live with that for now.
What can be learnt from this.
New parts aren't always right and when trouble shooting check one thing at a time and verify before checking/changing anything else.
I gave the old girl a quick wash and fitted my Heath Robinson link between the wiper arms.