On the way to York, the misfire that I thought was cured, reared its ugly head again and we were later than we wanted to be at the start. We set off on the run well enough, living with the intermittent misfire until the car finally died. There was absolutely no electrical power at all. The battery isolation switch hadn't come adrift so it was dig down to the battery time and sure enough one lead was loose. I tightened it, or so I thought and we were on our way again.
A few miles further on we came to a halt again. Straight to the battery this time and I made sure that the lead was tight. The car started and ran roughly for about 30 seconds then died. There was spark at the plug leads so the next step was fuel. I lifted the top of one float chamber to find it dry. Ther was no clicking from the solid state SU fuel pump so I took the cap off it to be greeted with the recognisable odour of burnt components.
That was the end of the journey for the TA and we called the RAC. Eventually we were recovered and taken home. It was a bit of a damp wait.